The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities in the areas of youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Serving the community for 90 years
- Service area: Garfield, Saddle Brook, Elmwood Park, Lodi, Wallington, Fairlawn, Passaic, and Clifton
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn and grow.
Who We Are
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
- Youth Development – Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
Nine million youth are taking a greater interest in learning; making smarter life choices; and cultivating the values, skills, and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, the pursuit of higher education and goal achievement.
- Healthy Living – Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
Millions of adults and youth receive the support, guidance, and resources needed to achieve better health and well-being.
- Social Responsibility – Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
Across the country, the Y helps people give back and assist their neighbors by offering them opportunities to volunteer, advocate and support programs that strengthen community.
The Y’s Impact
- More than 2,600 locations in 10,000 communities across the country.
- 21 million people (12 million adults and 9 million youth) of all ages, incomes, backgrounds, and abilities come to the Y to learn, grow and thrive.
- 500,000 volunteers – kids, parents, individuals, and business and community leaders –are personally vested in strengthening their communities.
- 20,000 full-time staff
- 64 million households and 32 million children ages 14 and under live within three miles of a YMCA, while 1,518 YMCAs serve communities where the median family income is below the U.S. average